Books Read- 203 Books to Read-282 Percent Complete- 41.86%

Just Finished (For the third time) - 'Mirror Dance' by Lois McMaster Bujold

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I just finished 'A Canticle for Leibowitz' and I'm a little disappointed that I put off reading this book for so long.  It was a lot better than  I thought it would be, and a lot better than the first three pages indicated.  I kept reading those pages over and over and putting it back down over the last year.  I won't say too much about the novel here, I'll post a review for it in a couple days, but I'm becoming a bigger and bigger fan of science fiction that blends in some religion.  The first book I really read that gave it a shot was 'Black Easter' by James Blish, where a few guys get together and raise a bunch of demons from hell to see if they can.   It's a much better book than that one sentence makes it sound.  But I thought Canticle was pretty good, and I liked how he treated the church with some respect, often it's taking an easy shot to make the church the bad guy in a post apocalyptic novel.

I also wrote a review for 'The Eskimo Invasion' whose main claim to fame is both the weirdest title and coolest cover in all of science fiction. I recommend you check out the review for the second one.  Other than those two things it's not a great novel, but that cover really does it for me.  Heck, don't even click on the review, here it is:

600full-the-eskimo-invasion-cover.jpg (309×500)

What fifteen year old wouldn't hang that on their wall?

Like I said I'll be posting a review for Canticle pretty soon, and I think I'll post another one for the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson too.  I've also started 'Stations of the Tide' by Michael Swanwick and so far it looks good.

No comments:

Post a Comment