Books Read- 203 Books to Read-282 Percent Complete- 41.86%

Just Finished (For the third time) - 'Mirror Dance' by Lois McMaster Bujold

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I posted a new review for Jo Walton's 'Farthing,' a book that really didn't do it for me.  Though my problems with this book have a lot more to do with me than anything to do with Walton.  This is an alternative history novel that sets out a 'what if' for Great Britain if they'd made peace with Hitler during WWII.  I think I might just not be up to speed enough on British history for this novel to really appeal to me, I had to keep stopping and looking things up for them to make sense.

No big deal, not every novel can be your favorite.  I read this as sort of a prelude to 'Among Others,' Walton's book that this year won both the Hugo and the Nebula Award.  I'd never read anything of Walton's before and I didn't want to start off with what sounds like her masterpiece.  Others was described once as a 'reverse Harry Potter which is more than enough to get me curious.

Walton also writes a blog at Tor.com where she reviews all the Hugo winners that she's read.  Kind of like what I'm doing except she isn't doing the Nebulas as well, and only the books she's read, not all of them.  Also her reviews are much better than mine, give me a break she's a professional.

You can check her blog out here.  It's great and you can get lost reading her reviews for hours, only getting mad at some of the reviews she's skipped over.

Going back to 'Farthing,' sometimes books just don't do it for you.  I hate how reviewers on the internet tend to act like if they don't like something then it must be terrible.  As if the only ratings for a work are five stars or no stars.  I didn't like it, but I can at least recognize that it is good, and why it got nominated.  Please don't use my not liking this novel as an excuse to skip it, it might be right up your alley.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment