Books Read- 203 Books to Read-282 Percent Complete- 41.86%

Just Finished (For the third time) - 'Mirror Dance' by Lois McMaster Bujold

Monday, February 18, 2013

I'm still reading 'Dhalgren' by Samuel Delany, and I'm actually making some pretty good headway into it.  I've started it a few times before, and on my first attempt even made it a couple hundred pages in.  Now I'm only a few hundred from being done so I feel pretty good that I'm going to finish it up this time.  I've talked about 'Dhalgren' being a tough book to read and compared it to 'Gravity's Rainbow' a few times.  Looking through 'Dhalgren' reviews I've found that I'm not the first person to make that comparison.  'Dhalgren' is basically one long descent into madness, and at the point I'm in now in the novel is just the plot less ramblings of a madman who has a lot of sex.  Which is not to say that it's not a great novel, just tough to read.

Usually by the time I'm almost finished with a novel I have a good idea of what type of review I'm going to write.  Unless there's some sort of big plot twist right at the end of a novel, like with 'Glory Road,' I know whether I like a book or not, and what I want to say about it.  I have no idea what to say about 'Dhalgren.'  The novel comes pretty close to defying explanation, and even though I'm not finished yet I've been looking for reviews and analysis online to help explain what I've read so far. Maybe I should just post a bunch of links to other people's reviews of it. 

I'll put up some kind of review when I'm finished with 'Dhalgren,' I just don't know what it's going to look like yet.  Once that review is up I'll start working on my next one, I don't know what that's going to be either.

No comments:

Post a Comment