Books Read- 203 Books to Read-282 Percent Complete- 41.86%

Just Finished (For the third time) - 'Mirror Dance' by Lois McMaster Bujold

Thursday, February 21, 2013

I've finished 'Dhalgren' by Samuel Delany, and I still have no idea how to go about writing a review.  I've even checked out a few other reviews on websites and blogs on the Internet, they all seem to either talk about how difficult of a book this is, or give a synopsis of the plot.  The plot summary is something I have no interest in, both because I started this blog to write reviews that avoided just summarizing plot, and because the plot of 'Dhalgren' is unimportant.  I don't think it needs saying that it's a tough book to read, there's another review out there that says just that.  I don't think there is any reason to retread that ground.  No, the review I write will probably be around 'Dhalgren,' poking around the edges, because I just don't know how to dive in and dissect what it is I just read.  I'll try to get a review up soon.

On a different note this year's Nebula Nominees were released.  I'm kind of excited about it because most of these are by author's I've never even heard of.  Jemisin is an author I really like, and so is Robinson, but I'm excited to try out all these new authors.  Sometimes I feel like a heel for using the nominee list to guide me in what to read.  The problem is I just don't know how someone would have the time to keep up with what's good in current SF, especially when there are so many great older books out there to read.  I'm sure there's plenty of novel that weren't nominated that should really be given a chance, and I try to find and read them, but it's tough. 

Most of the books I read are older SF, but I really like where the more modern SF is heading.  Newer authors like Ian McDonald, Jemisin, James Corey, and China Mieville are all putting out really interesting stuff.  Which is just great because for awhile there in the '90s SF was starting to get a little dull.  I think between the Hugo and Nebula Awards a person is given a pretty good survey of all the SF and Fantasy in a given year, and if I miss out on anything there's always Jo Walton' revisiting the Hugo blog to point out what was overlooked in a given year.

Like I said I'm going to try and get a review up for 'Dhalgren' pretty soon, and as soon as I pick out a book to read next I'll mark it up at the top. I'm thinking something simple and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment