Books Read- 203 Books to Read-282 Percent Complete- 41.86%

Just Finished (For the third time) - 'Mirror Dance' by Lois McMaster Bujold

Monday, January 21, 2013

It turns out I have a lot more to say about 'Glory Road' than I though I did.  I was hoping to finish two reviews today and then get started on 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell,' but I only got one of those things done.  My review of Road is pretty long and it felt like I could have kept going, shoot I could probably write thirty pages on that book, and I don't even know that much about fantasy novels.

The problem is that I see Road as a critique of the sort of Flash Gordon, Princess of Mars stories that were around back in the fifties and sixties, while also pandering to the sort of people that would want to read those stories.  Heinlein tries to have his cake and eat it too.  In my mind the criticism of those sort of quest stories, where ever woman is a damsel in distress and every hero a knight in shining armor with a happily ever after ending, is more than enough to make up for what the actual quest takes away from the work.  But, a lot of people can't look past the fact that the quest Heinlein lays out is every bit as cliched and flawed as the works he's sending up.  It's a tough review.

I'm not even going to say what I'll be reviewing next, I've been talking about reviewing Kim Robinson's Mars Trilogy for awhile now, and you know what, it's really tough.  I've been working on it for awhile now and I'll probably just do what I've been doing, go on to something easier to review and leave the trilogy alone.  There's plenty of other Award Winners out there I need to review.

It looks like it's going to take me awhile to finish Strange and Norell, that book's huge.  I'm going to try to do better about updating this even when I haven't finished a book.  Ten days between updates and reviews is too long in my book.  I'll get another review up this week, hopefully something easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment